Fall Semester: What to Look Forward To
Autumn is a special time, especially at #UWEC. The leaves start to change color, the air is crisp and cool, crowds of blue and gold fill the stands at football games, and the Blugold Marching Band (AKA: “BMB”) begins filling the community with joyous melodies. Since last year was fairly different than what we’re used to, Fall Semester 2021 is going to be BIG. To prepare, here’s a list of everything you can expect….
It was an adjustment shifting from face-to-face interaction to online classes, hybrid formats, and so on. We know everyone is bursting with excitement at the thought of quality time in the classroom and interacting with peers and professors this year. There’s nothing like the feeling of being in a lecture hall and learning in an environment that is social and engaging.
As of right now, most courses are expected to be back in the classroom at full capacity. We cannot wait to get back to normal and take advantage of our wonderful learning environment. Imagine how great it will be to grab a coffee at The Cabin and study with pals. It will feel like old times for some, and a new beginning for others.
Walks along Putnam Trail
Putnam Trail is a spot you’re not gonna want to miss! The breathtaking views create the most picturesque location for a walk, bike ride, jog, or photoshoot. Perhaps grab hot chocolate with a friend and take a stroll among the trees.
- Put on your headphones and wander along the trail while listening to artists such as Taylor Swift, Hozier, Coldplay, Michael Bublé, or whoever it is that channels your fall feels (check out UW-Eau Claire’s Spotify account here).
- Go with your roommate or some friends and dress up in your favorite cozy clothing to take some pics for the ‘gram or maybe a video for TikTok! Be sure to post them and use the hashtags #uwec and #uwecfall to be featured on our account.
Blugold Marching Band & Football Games
The BMB has captured the attention of SO many people. Did you know that it’s one of the largest college marching bands in the country?! The band begins working on a field show in late August, filled with popular tunes ranging from ABBA to Beyoncé.
You can catch the Blugold Marching Band at every Blugold Football home game. The group also travels to local performances, appears at parades, U.S. Bank Stadium, Indianapolis, and beyond. Did you know the band even traveled to Australia and New Zealand on a performance tour before the COVID-19 Pandemic hit in 2020?
Last year, the BMB managed to have a unique season involving masks and recording a television special that aired on WQOW (watch it here). However, nothing beats the regular Blugold Marching Band season. If you’re not a member of the band yourself, support the band and the Blugold Football team by attending a game. Don’t forget to dress up in Blugold apparel!
- If you want to join the BMB, check it out HERE. You don’t have to be a music student to join.
Cozy Nights at The Cabin
The Cabin is one of our FAVE hangout spots. During the day, it‘s a bustling study spot where students chill by the large fireplace and sip on Starbucks Coffee. But did you know that on weekend evenings, the walls of The Cabin are filled with live music?
The Eau Claire area has some great talent, and typically two featured artists are selected to perform each semester. There are also comedy nights, in which students from the Backward Thinkers Society improv group take the stage and entertain their peers.
You may have heard that UW-Eau Claire is considered “Wisconsin’s Most Beautiful Campus.” Well, there’s definitely a reason for that. The nature that surrounds campus makes you feel right at home.
Walking to class becomes a treat when it turns into a cozy, cool Autumn stroll. Everything is vibrant, especially when the colors range from bright reds to golden yellows. If you head to campus this fall, make sure you have your camera ready!
Blugold Welcome Week
The first week of fall semester is called “Blugold Welcome Week,” and it’s full of awesome campus events. Here are a few that you can look forward to:
- Davies Party: After you move-in, head to Davies Center for the “Davies Party.” There will be crafting activities, giveaways, free food, and live music.
- Tour de Rec: Want to explore UWEC Recreation? Look no further than Tour de Rec. You’ll be able to sample group exercise classes and other recreational facilities on campus.
- Tie Dye Affair: Gather your roommates and tie dye some shirts on upper campus. All the dye will be provided.
- Library After Dark: This is McIntyre Library’s official welcome event for Blugolds. The library offers FREE food, video game stations, mini golf, board games, puzzles and much more!
- UW Meets EC: This has to be one of our personal faves! Just hop on one of the buses outside of your dorm and head to downtown Eau Claire for an adventure. You’ll start in Phoenix Park by checking out booths sponsored by local businesses and then walk back to campus following our trusty map. Along the way, there will be musical performances by UWEC student groups and free treats from other businesses.
- The CookOUT: Join new and returning LGBTQ+ students and Allies in connecting with peers, faculty/staff, and administrators who are supportive of this community. Come grab some free food, have a discussion or just hang out.
Mark your calendars for #UWEC Homecoming! This year, it will be October 10–17. The full line-up of events hasn’t been released just yet, but it will be a week full of fun and school spirit for students and alumni.
There are so many awesome activities and events to enjoy in the Eau Claire area. This is especially true in the fall. Here are a few other things you should add to your bucket list:
- Have a movie marathon complete with delicious treats (Enjoy FREE movies and TV shows on MyTV10, UW-Eau Claire’s very own streaming platform)
- Host or attend a bonfire and eat some s’mores (there’s a fire pit behind Sutherland Hall)
- Carve pumpkins and put them outside of your dorm room or on your front porch if you live off-campus
- Check out an event at Pablo Center at the Confluence
- Go to one of the many delicious restaurants and coffee shops with roommates and/or friends (Check out our Instagram Guide for a list)
- Walk to the Phoenix Park Farmer’s Market on Saturdays through October
- Decorate your dorm room for every holiday
- Go to an apple orchard (Dixon’s Apple Orchard, Leffel Roots, Bushel & a Peck)